Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Post 12








Christi said...

Mr. McClung,

I don't think we should ever stop learning! You did a great job! You made history and social studies fun for the students and these subjects were foreign to you. I thinking teaching is a learning experience especially in your situation when your grade level switches. You just go with the flow. You should always surround yourself around positive people!! Don't let negative comments bring you down by other teachers. They are probably just jealous anyway. I'm very proud of you and I look up to you!


M-Cubed:ISTE Presentation Video
This video was about design-print-fabricate-assemble-process of digital fabrication
I really enjoyed watching how the students were so excited that their design "worked" and how they anticipated it coming off the fabricator so they could have it in their hands! They don't know they are learning but just see this as having fun. But learning should be fun!


http://www.youtube.com/user/fablab4teachers#p/u/24/kApf3av5A_U
I really like this video and the teacher. She doesn't give her students instructions so they ask each other questions and they talk to one another using mathematical language that they learned about in class. They are risk takers. Its a stem related initiative.

http://www.youtube.com/user/fablab4teachers#p/u/18/Qzlcuk1tmhE
This video is about a student at age 5 that makes a digital object using simple modeling software then sends it to a fabricator. Digital fabrication may seem like science fiction but its cutting edge reality. It makes desktop 3D design creations as easy as using a mouse and typing a few key strokes on a keyboard.

http://www.youtube.com/user/fablab4teachers#p/u/34/uN0ZF2de3eg
This is a tutorial that explains how to create a basic shape in Tabs MST and alter its dimensions.

I would love to have a fabricator in my classroom and have my students learn and do some of the same projects as these students did. I've never seen a fabricator in person but would love to actually "play" and get to know how to use these programs so hopefully they can be used in my classroom one day!



2 comments:

  1. You need to make your URLs into working buttons. If you do not know how to do this.

    We should write a proposal for some fabricator equipment. I made the same suggestion to Kimberly Tharp. I'll be glad to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the videos about the fabricators as well. It is definitely a neat tool and is something that I hope to learn how to use.

    ReplyDelete