Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Blog Post 8

"What I've Learned This Year" by Mr. McClung

I truly enjoyed reading this blog. By reading this, it takes the stress out of a first year teacher going into a classroom. It explains to be flexible with your lesson plans. There are going to be times that they don't go the way you want them to. I thought he brought up a very important point that lessons should be student centered and it has gotten away from that. He thinks you should drive your instruction.
I believe his thoughts on building strong relationships with teachers and students. When you build your relationships with your teachers, try to surround yourself around the positive ones. Find a teacher that has been there 15 years and still loves doing what she is doing. She could be a mentor to you.
Technology is important in these times. I was working at a place that everyone was scared to touch the computer. I kept telling them that it will not bite them and I can fix anything that they messed up.
I would love to sit in on one of Mr. McClung's lessons. He seems so down to earth and I think I could learn a lot from him. I agree with him that you should never stop learning! People think I'm crazy because I keep wanting to go back to college for more classes but I love learning!

2 comments:

  1. I was glad to hear you want to take more classes. Learning is a never ending process. I agree with your thoughts on Mr. McClung's video. It was quite informative. I have to disagree about attaching to a teacher who has 15 years experience. I try not to limit myself when it comes to who can teach me things. You never know, the person whom you least expect might teach you the most important lesson. Never limit yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "When you build your relationships with your teachers, try to surround yourself around the positive ones. Find a teacher that ... loves doing what she is doing. She could be a mentor to you." An excellent prescription for building your PLN as well!

    And I agree with Alana. You do not have to limit your mentors to 15 year veterans. That is the reason for my edit of the quote of what you had written in your post. Don't forget: Mr. Mc Clung just finished his second year of teaching!

    Keep on learning. It never ends!

    ReplyDelete